Cape Bonavista lighthouse
Early morning, Cape Bonavista Lighthouse Provincial Historic Site, Bonavista, Newfoundland. In 1497 John Cabot first made landfall in Newfoundland at Cape Bonavista. The Cape Bonavista lighthouse was built in 1842 and is a Provincial Historic Site. The light is build on a stone base, surrounded by a wooden house. The light dates to 1895 and consists of six Argand burners and parabolic reflectors, and revolved to produce two white flashes followed by one red flash, every thirty seconds for a total interval of 90 seconds. The red and white pattern of the light is reproduced in the red and white stripes of the building.