Cow Head lighthouse
The Cow Head lighthouse is another of the decommissioned old lighthouses on the west coast on the Great Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland. The peninsula was discovered be Jacques Cartier in 1594 and the rich cod stocks in the area were soon being fished by French fisherman who called it Tete de Vache (Cow Head) for its distinctive shape. The lighthouse was built in 1908 and was originally powered by a kerosene lamp that required constant maintenance. It was replaced by a propane light with an automatic timer in 1952 and became battery operated in 1978. It was decommissioned in 1988. A beautiful hiking trail has now been built leading to the lighthouse.