Fort Point Lighthouse, 1874, protecting the harbour, Trinity, Newfoundland
Fort Point was established in 1748 by the British in order to protect the mercantile assets that had been established in Trinity. The Fort was destroyed in 1762 by the French during a take over of the Town however was rebuilt in 1812. The site in 1871 became a Light House Station and was operated as such with a year round Light House Keeper until the 1990s.. Work on constructing a lighthouse on Fort Point to mark the entrance to Trinity Harbour began in 1872. The signature of this light, and the current tower that was built around 2003, is a white flash every five seconds. Fort Point Lighthouse is still a staffed station. The original apparatus was a dioptric (invented by Sir David Brewster, predating but similar to the Fresnel lens, ) of the 8th order, with a single argand burner.