Fort Point Lighthouse
Fort Point Lighthouse marks the entrance to the harbour at Trinity, Newfoundland. Next to the lighthouse there is a foghorn.
Fort (Admiral's) Point was established in 1748 by the British in order to protect the mercantile assets that had been established in Trinity town beginning in the 1600s. The Fort was destroyed in 1762 by the French during their attack on the town, and was rebuilt in 1812. Work on constructing a lighthouse on Fort Point began in 1872 and it was completed in 1874. It had a year round lighthouse keeper until the 1990s. The current tower was built around 2003 and the light gives a white flash every five seconds. The original apparatus was a dioptric lens of the 8th order (invented by Sir David Brewster, predating but similar to the Fresnel lens, but Fresnel ended up with most of the credit) with a single argand burner. 1st order lens are the most powerful and their signal carries the furthest distance. Because the entrance to Trinity harbour is relatively narrow a powerful lens on a very tall structure is not necessary, hence the 8th order lens.
Fort Point lighthouseharbour entranceTrintyNewfoundlandfoghorn
From Western Brook Pond to Cape Bonavista